FC: Faculty Consultant
ST: Senior Tutor
NYU Writing Center Pledge
As a client at the Writing Center, I pledge to prepare for my appointment in the following ways:
• Prior to my session, I will reread my assignment and draft in order to determine a particular question or concern to take up during the session.
• I will bring all materials to the session that the consultant and I may need: the assignment, the course syllabus, previous writing, relevant research and reading, my professor’s comments, etc.
• If I am working on a draft, will bring two copies to my session, one for the consultant and one for myself.
I understand that:
• The Writing Center is not a proofreading or copyediting service. My consultant will not read through my paper line by line and fix the errors. Instead, when my consultant and I address matters of style or patterns of errors, we will focus on how I can learn to assess better and improve some aspect of my writing.
• During my session, I will be prompted to think actively, to compose new writing, and to discuss my thoughts about my paper and about my writing process.
• I need to schedule my appointment in advance of the due date for my paper so that I have ample time to revise after the session.
• I need to be reasonably fluent in English in order to use the Writing Center.
• I am allowed up to 6 appointments per semester.
• If I am more than ten minutes late, I will lose my appointment to someone on the wait list.
• If I cannot make my scheduled appointment, I need to cancel it. Until 11:59 pm the night prior to my appointment, I can cancel it online at https://nyu.mywconline.com/. If I need to cancel the morning of my appointment, however, I must call the Writing Center at 212-998-8866.
• If I miss two appointments without canceling them ahead of time, I will not be allowed to use the Writing Center again during the semester.
• If I work on a draft of an essay or an exercise for an EWP course, my consultant will send my teacher a short description of what we worked on and accomplished during our session.
I have read the policies of the Writing Center and understand my responsibilities.